Thursday 18 January 2007

Joanne's Story - Poppy and Daisy

Hiys I was just reading about spaying and neutering cats.

I just wanted to share my story. Two and a half years ago I had a female cat called Poppy who got pregnant and nursed her three kittens very well. I had to keep hold of one of her kittens because it wasn`t feeding too well so wanted to keep an eye on it a bit longer before rehoming.

Poppy went in to be spayed when her babies reached twelve weeks. Only a few hours later I received a phone call from the vet saying Poppy`s heart had stopped while on the table and they had done all they could for her. I was so upset, in fact I was heart-broken as Poppy was my li'l baby.

I kept that kitten that wasn`t feeding to remind me of her mum although they look sooooooooo different. Poppy was a long haired tortoishell and Dasiy is a short haired mainly white beauty. Daisy will be three in March and I am finally going to have the courage to have her spayed. I have a litter of seven kittens at the moment that belong to Daisy purely because I was too scared to risk anything happening to my baby again.

The kittens are all going to their new homes at the end of january and then I will be booking Daisy in at the vet. I just wanted people to be aware that things can go wrong but not very often thankfully. I had no idea and was in shock for a long time. When Daisy goes in I will be informing the vet of Poppy`s history etc so wish me luck.

I am including a pic of Daisy with this post. Thankyou for taking the time to read this Joanne x

From Trish - Thanks Joanne. Poppy's story is very sad, but as you point out it's a very rare occurance. Daisy should be fine, although as she's related to Poppy it would be a very good idea to mention there has been a problem in the past. If you have a picture of Poppy that you'd like posted, let me know.

No comments:

Training Your Cat